There are only a few weeks left in 2019, which means that not only is the year coming to a close, but so is the decade. Many companies and publications have started sharing not only year-end rankings, but also those that detail the best and most popular of everything in entertainment in the past 10 years.
YouTube has just released its list of the most successful music videos of the 2010 - 2019 decade, and while it’s primarily populated by the biggest pop stars in the U.S. and U.K., there are a few acts that break through that show how tastes began to change in the past several years.
Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee’s “Despacito” is in a very distant first place, as it racked up over six and a half billion plays in only a few years. The visual stands as the most-viewed clip on YouTube, and it’s over two billion clicks ahead of the second-highest-ranking title, Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of You.” That song may soon become just the second release in history to make it to five billion views on the site. Sheeran is the only musician to own two of the top 10 spots, as his other internationally adored smash “Thinking Out Loud” closes out the list at No. 10. Combined, the 10 most popular videos on the platform were watched over 37 billion times.
Pop favorites like Sheeran, Maroon 5 and Justin Bieber are all included, but so are Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee and K-pop superstar Psy, all of whom make the list with tracks performed in a language other than English. The success of their biggest wins was surprising at the time, and it highlights the fact that tastes are changing, and that the demographic of who uses YouTube to access the music they love may also be different from what it was just a few years ago.
1. Luis Fonsi - “Despacito (ft. Daddy Yankee)” - 6,558,078,465 views
2. Ed Sheeran - “Shape of You” - 4,517,718,066 views
3. Wiz Khalifa - “See You Again (ft. Charlie Puth)” - 4,320,523,808 views
4. Mark Ronson - “Uptown Funk (ft. Bruno Mars)” - 3,732,564,526 views
5. Psy - “Gangnam Style” - 3,471,161,219 views
6. Justin Bieber - “Sorry” - 3,225,301,301 views
7. Maroon 5 - “Sugar” - 3,086,744,534 views
8. Katy Perry - “Roar” - 2,968,228,909 views
9. OneRepublic - “Counting Stars” - 2,883,120,697 views
10. Ed Sheeran - “Thinking Out Loud” - 2,864,887,373 views